Sunday, April 13, 2008

What does it mean to be a father?

Started on 4/13/08:

I have been toying with the notion of fatherhood for several months. My son, Judah, is 15 months old. Therefore, I have been a father for over a year. The question is greater than what does it mean to be a father. I more specifically am searching myself for how can I most embrace fatherhood? That is the core question I am thinking about.

Taking a scientific approach to this - Fatherhood is classified as such.

Family - Human
Genus - Individual Person
Species - Fatherhood

I only break it down like this simply to demonstrate that part of being a good father is connected to being a good person, which is then connected to being part of larger society. The context is somewhat important. While there are unique aspects of what it means to be a good father, many of the characteristics map back to what it means to be a good person.

On the notion of good. This is a moral and relativist approach. It sets up a differentiation and a self other phenomenon. So keeping that in mind, there may not be a right or wrong way to go about things. At some point, depending on one's worldview, we all have to make judgments of what works for us or what does not. This choice then becomes what is right for one person not for all. Thus realizing that another person choosing a different path is doing just that - taking another approach. I believe that the best I can do is make my own distinctions of what is right and wrong. Then when looking at others, I can attempt to stay somewhat open and accept that other people elect to do things differently.

With that said, my belief on fatherhood is focused around the goal of being present, to accept that my son is his own being and at the same time teach him, direct him, and guide him. The more I can be present and share in his experiences the more I am likely to lead, direct, or model appropriately. My goal is to meet him where ever he is. Meaning if he is learning to talk encourage his discovery with language...I realize this post is not concluded, but neither is my role as a father. Therefore, to be continued...as more thoughts percolate.

No comments: